Saturday, January 5, 2008

12 Month Appointment




I am not sure if anyone has noticed, but Anna Christine looks a little skinnier these days. Yesterday, we went in for her 12 month check-up, and she has lost a whole pound! We went to the doctor at the beginning of November for a sick appointment, and she weighed in at 24 lbs, but yesterday, she was only 23 lbs. (77 %). The doctor was not too concerned, but she wants us to come back in one month to make sure Anna Christine has not lost anymore weight. The weight loss is probably due to her sickness this past week or the fact that she is more active. We got her one of those walkers for her birthday (see pictures below- the lion thing), and she walks back and forth in our apartment.

On the other hand, she has grown in length to 31 1/4 inches which is in the 97%. I will keep you posted on her progress.

For all those mothers out there who have babies eating solids, what are your babies' favorite foods? I am trying to get some more ideas of things to give Anna Christine. She loves avocado, kiwi, strawberries, whole wheat bread, cheese, yogurt, peas, carrots, potatoes, turkey, macaroni and more, but I am running out of ideas. Oh yeah, she tolerates bananas. She loves her snack foods such as Ritz, graham crackers, Annie's bunny grahams, puffs, and cheerios, but now, I am afraid she is not getting enough calories.

7 comments:

Jeff, Amy & Jackson said...

That picture is too cute, AC is such a doll!!! Sorry no help on the food :0)
Sounds like y'all had a very eventful trip home. I am sure all in all it was wonderful to be with the family!

Robin Stevens said...

Hey Emily! Have you tried just pureeing what you and Sam eat for supper and feeding it to AC? Here are some things my Katie eats (she turned 1 on Dec 31)
-Oatmeal w/ bananas and a sprinkle of wheat germ or ground flaxseed
-very thick smoothie made with whole milk yogurt, strawberries, a banana, a handful of spinach and a sprinkle of wheat germ or flaxseed. you could really use any fruit in place of strawberries and also add a splash of orange juice
-sandwiches: cheese, peanut butter and banana, peanut butter and jelly (I use natural peanut butter and 100% fruit jelly)
-beans and rice. Any beans mixed with brown rice and mashed up. Yum!
You should read "Super Baby Food" It is awesome and she has great ideas for feeding your kids!

Robin (williford) Stevens
www.xanga.com/theevenstevens

The Hutton Family said...

Well, hello, Robin Williford Stevens! So good to hear from you. Thank you for the suggestions. I do own Super Baby Food, and I should probably refer to it more, but it is a a little overwhelming for me. THank you for the suggestions. AC LOVES BEANS TOO, and we use the Bolthouse juices and mix with her oatmeal as well for smoothies, but I think she wants more of big people food and use her hands vs. being feed with a spoon. I am going back to the food and check out the receipes in the back! Great idea!

I am so excited to hear from you!

Hope all is well!

Robin Stevens said...

Another thing I thought of is whole milk now that she is one. Or even soy or rice milk if you don't want to use cow's milk. Or are you still nursing? Anyway, those would add some calories. Or how about a litte diluted juice first thing in the morning? My Sam did not know what real apple and orange juice tasted like until he was almost 3 years old!

Bree said...

For Lilly the doctor recommended that we try to give her as much protein as possible and it really has helped her to gain some weight. Lilly loves chicken nuggets with apples and cheese and peanut butter sandwiches (I don't even put jelly on them most of the time). You could also try tofu. Just cut it up into little cubes and serve it to her cold (this is how Lilly likes it) or mix it in a smoothie (that's the only way that Alexander will eat it).

Bree said...

I just thought of something else. How about eggs? If she's not allergic, scrambled eggs are a great finger food and if you mix frozen peas into them, they cool down quickly so that they are ready to eat instantly.

I also used to make carrot or zucchini muffins in a mini muffin tin (just half the amount of sugar that the recipe calls for). This is a great way to sneak in veggies and she can feed them to herself without getting too messy.

ML said...

Hey Emily! Well, judging by the picture and the 24 lbs., I'd say Anna Christine is getting enough calories! Our Emily weighed 24lbs at her 2year check up in November!

As for foods, my kids eat everything we eat - including 9 mo old Will. I just cut/grind up what we're having and he eats it too. They go through spurts when they eat and eat and eat and then won't touch any of their "favorites." Emily had an egg and 3 pancakes for breakfast last week. Today, she hardly touched her cereal. It all works out in the end. Don't worry!

-Mary Lee Sonke